One of the areas I specialise in is business stress and I often see areas where bad work habits increase your stress. Here are seven of the most common ones and how to fix them.
When you get rid of the bad habits you discover much more time. Then you can work on the various mindset things that impose limits on your self belief.
- Multitasking is actually counterproductive. If you think you’ll do more in less time just by completing two or three tasks at once, you’re simply wrong.
Humans have a very limited attention span. After a period of hard work, you might find some of your tasks unfinished and forgotten. Learn to prioritize them and do one thing at a time. When you focus on the task you are doing at any given moment it helps you stay productive for a long time.
- Checking your email every minute and allowing the notifications to come onto the screen as they come in is very distracting. One task at a time increases your productivity then allot times to check the emails or as you finish each task
- Having a messy desk impedes your ability to properly concentrate: and becomes very distracting. A clean and ordered desk is something that will help you focus on the job that needs to be done.
- Failing to eat healthy lunches or snacks causes your concentration and focus to suffer and eating junk food gives you high volumes of salt and simple carbs and you may find yourself feeling like a zombie for the rest of the day. Plus having a bit of mental space away from your work-tasks will provide you with lots more energy and inspiration.
- You avoid exercise because it eats into your work time. In fact you need the exercise in your life for mental and physical health. It may seem counter-intuitive when you feel like you don’t have any free time, nor energy left in you at the end of the workday But you actually get more energy to last through a busy day when you are physically fit.
- You constantly check your phone. Your phone is there for you, not the other way round. It is a very ill-mannered tool that simply butts into your life. Organise to take messages and answer those messages when it fits in with what you are doing.
- You use social media as a break. Checking your news feed can make you feel yourself more tired than before. And it simply eats your time! Use your break to rest your eyes and stretch your legs instead.
In order to stay focused, healthy and productive you need to learn how to shut out the frenzy of your professional life and embrace good habits that will make your time at work all the more enjoyable.
If you are stressed at work, contact me to see if I can help you.